1.12.08

Here it is, then.
The public record of my life on and off the heart transplant list.
I've been meaning to do this for a while- we're talking around 4 years. Unfortunately (or maybe it's a good thing) the lack of resources for young adults who've had/are waiting for heart transplants is ridiculous. I've been searching the Internet forEVER, looking for anyone who is talking about their experiences with this specifically.
Sure, there are resources for the technical aspects of the entire experience: what happens before/during/after, waiting list data such as UNOS, and multiple sites for the parents of pediatric transplant patients. This is all great and helpful, but to an extent.
I'm tired of coming upon these websites dedicated to chronicling how to retire after transplant.*
*Can I clarify here? I don't mean to invalidate the feelings of persons who feel this way, or the obvious support that groups like this present; I am trying to give a voice to people stuck in the system limbo between adult and child.

Hopefully this blog can shed some light on the experiences of a lifetime stuck in the medical system- as it is for me, and young adults in general.
Because fuck knows I can't wait another 6 months to see a psychologist.

No comments: